WE ARE AN APPROVED 503 (c) (3) Charitable Foundation

EIN 26-3290073Exempt Private Foundation

ALSO SEE THE FOUNDATION WEB SITE

Donations to the Foundation

Please Visit Our Website Where You Can "Purchase" a Donation From Our Online Store. http://home.mikegotzforsci.org

Saturday, August 2, 2008

Finally A Shower

Mike finally had his first shower since July 4th (yuck). It was a little bit of a let down though because he got dizzy a lot and his blood pressure got low. A common thing according to his Dr. He also was hoping Kendra the PT girl who gave him the shower would have some kind of skimpy outfit on, but no such luck.

I had a long talk with his Dr and he said Mike is progressing as expected. He is still in the early stages of his injury. At least 3-4 more weeks of spinal shock is expected. Once that dissipates things could start to progress faster on his arm and hand capabilities and maybe more progress belpow is level of injury. They are givng him some protein drinks and are going to start him on steroids soon to help him gain some weight and muscle back.

His respritory problems are getting better everyday and he is coughing up that stuff that has been giving him problems. We have been doing compression coughs everytime I have been there the last few days with good success. He will be less tierd and have more stamina for PT and OT everyday.

Mike is in a place where he goes between being frustrated and optimistic at the same time. PT is hard work and he is up for it but at the same time it reminds him what he can't do. His freinds and family are what truely keeps his spirits high. You are all amazing and I don't think you have a real sense of how big a part of his recovery that is.

Now that we have a tentative discharge date I am concentrating on the house and a van. 6 weeks is going to go by really fast. Joe is going to help me get some measurements and get a materials list going as a start. I got a lot of information on required space and door widths etc. and lifts. We will need 2 to give Mike accessability to the whole house. All of your great ideas on fundraisers will be a help with this. Mike and the family are very gratefull.

Red

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Red,

Thanks for the information. If there is anything more we can do for help with getting the house ready let me know. My Dad is the superintendant of a major construction company and I am sure we could get some help from them. Its very exciting to have the discharge date, and its proof that Mikes hard work is really paying off.

Mike, we will see you tomorrow, love you buddy!

Shan and Kyle

Anonymous said...

Hey Jeff,

Thanks so much for the update. I am glad Mike was able to shower, even though it wasn't the best experience. I am glad to hear that all of the family and friend support is truly helping him in his recovery process. I just wish I could be there in person more often...I wish there was more I could do. We have already raised some money and the wristbands should be in soon, so I know that will take off quickly. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help...anything!

Mike sounded very focused on September 17th when I spoke to him a few days ago. I know that date is going to push him even more to work hard and get ready for his return home. Pass along all of my love to Mike and let him know I hope to see him next weekend.

Lots of Love,
Robin

Anonymous said...

A shower!! Whoo hooo!! That must have felt GREAT, Mike! Now you're foxy for all the ladies ;) I love the comment about how you wished the PT wore something a little skimpy - it's nice to see that you are still your ol perverted self - just kidding!! It was good to see you the other day and I'm so proud of all the progress you've made. That a boy, Bawldy! Your stubborn personality (which we all love) is what is going to help you the most through this - don't give up!! I think about you everyday and you are in every prayer I send up. See you again soon - and remember, no wheelies in the hallway. Lots and lots of love,
Lauren (Blonday)

Anonymous said...

Jeff,
Thanks for the latest update on Mike. I know how frustrating it must be for him but he knows what he's working for and that it WILL pay off. Please let Tommy know if you need any help around the building/planning aspect of getting the house ready. If you need any plans, drawings, codes for acccessablity to get approval for the work, he can take care of all that if you haven't done that yet. We'll be there this weekend. Mike will be home in no time and will be much improved and ready to settle in. Love to all.
Susan and Tommy

Anonymous said...

Though there are ups and downs to each new accomplishment and steps toward recovery and independence - it is very clear that Mike is most focused on the ups and the positives. And he should be - just look how far he has come along in a short time. Once his respiratory challenges subside and more healing from the spinal shock comes - the ups will take full hold. Anything that Ray or I can do to help during Mike's time at rehab and getting ready to settle in back home - just ask. I only wish that we could be more involved each and every day. We will be coming to visit the weekend after the Scotts' visit and want to do anything that may be needed while we aren't with Mike. Please do let Mike know that he first in our hearts and minds - and that like him, we are happy that the post-Manny era is off to such a great start - Mike must be thrilled. LOVE TO EVERYBODY - Aunt Nancy and Uncle Ray

JJ's Mommy said...

That is great. Everyday some better news. Mike we were in Ohio this past weekend and have JJ's first birthday this Weekend (Saturday) so we will most likely be coming up this week or Sunday. Can't wait to see your face:)

Thank god you got that showa, stinky butt :)

The Connelly's said...

Red,
Thanks for the information. ANYTHING we can do, please let us know. We can help with labor in the house and we look forward to getting together some fundraisers sooner then later.
Gotz,
It was great to see you this weekend. I can only imagine how frustrating things are for you, but like we talked about, keep pushing through. The progress will come and we'll be back at the house drinking beers in no time!!
We love you so much. Hope you were able to get some sleep the last few days.
All our love,
Crystal and Randy

Chetna said...

Great uodate. Sounds like great progress! I cant wait to help out with a fundraiser.

Anonymous said...

Hi Mike. I know you won't remember me but I am your Dad's aunt from Massachusetts. You were very young when Gee and your grandfather Jack (my brother) moved from Pownal. I do remember meeting you at their aniversary party.

I have been in touch with Karen and finally figured out how to navigate this blog. I am pretty much computer challenged. As a matter of fact, I don't know what steps come after this message but I hope it gets through to you.

My thoughts and prayers are with you for continued improvement. It sounds like you have a good support system in place and a good outlook.

Stay positive and keep up the good work with your rehab.

I am thinking about you and your whole family and will be in touch soon.

Love, Aunt Ruth